Sticks, Strings & Other Things

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Reporting From The Knitting Olympics Village



Jo here reporting from the Knitting Olympics Village aka the WorldWideWeb. I'm with the Team USA Sock Knitters, representing Team NH. It's about >checkingclock< 22 hours from Opening Ceremonies and the training has reached the "intense" stage. Knitters all over the world are sanding wooden needles, delegating household chores and stocking up on quick-to-fix meals for their families. Yarn has been chosen, patterns are copied in triplicate (just in case), knitting bags, baskets and bowls are filled and ready to serve. Swatching is complete (mostly) and beverages of choice are warming/cooling/breathing or being consumed NOW in the hopes of allieviating tension! There is plenty of chocolate here in the Village but I heard there could be a run on M&Ms by the end of the week so get yours now if you haven't already!

As for my own training, I have burned the first choice sock pattern and I'm now onto writing my own as I knit. :D Doesn't *that* sound like fun? I have swatched and I'm all set to cast on at 2:00 pm tomorrow. I can hardly wait! I have copies of suggested cast-ons and heel options sitting in a file at the bottom of my computer screen should I need to quick-reference them and I have traced both of DS's Godzirra-feet onto card stock with all pertinent measurements written in. The middle school suggested that maybe I find another alternative to busting into class glassy-eyed and frantic to fit half-knitted socks smack in the middle of the day. Apparently they thought I might frighten some of the other children or disrupt something trivial like a test or something. It's the Olympics here! This is serious too, y'know! I want to know WHO gave them my blog addy so they knew my plan and why they think I'll be a frantic, swearing mess by the deadline? Hhhmmm? C'mon, fess up!

There is good news in the Olympic Village! After hunting high and low all over this huge place...I have found Team NH!! There are a whopping, umm, 5 of us but that's ok. We are a small state and it's all relative. We plan to win BIG! There is supposed to be an article about Team NH and the Knitting Olympics in this weekend's Concord edition of the Hippo. Are we cool or what? We're even getting press! And our button rocks! Check it out over there in the sidebar. Many thanks to KatWithaK for handling the Team NH blog. That's our dearly missed Old Man of The Mountain proudly sporting his knit cap on our button. No, Team Maine...it's NOT a Band-Aid! Sheesh, some people's kids! Real men wear pink! ;P He fell and he can't get up but we still love him and everything he used to stand for.

Team Socks keeps growing and growing. There is a link over there for that blog, too. Trekcelt is the Captain of the team and kudos to her for a fantastic blog! We now have close to (if not more than) 40 members. There will be a whole lot of warm feet when this Olympics is over. Watch out for us...we have DPNs and we know how to use 'em! I'm tempted to poke Maine for that Band-Aid remark but I'm into Live Free or Die Trying right now so I'll let it "slide". >groan<>

Well, I have knitting group tonight so I have to get ready for that. I hope all my ladies are going to cheer me on in the Knitting Olympics. I'll be posting every day or so with brief updates because I don't want to use my knitting time for blogging. I'm going to pace myself and when I need to break I can check in here and see how my teammates are coming along.

Good luck to all...see you at the Games!!


2 Comments:

  • At February 09, 2006 9:29 PM, Blogger KT said…

    lol...great post! bf was reading over my shoulder and said, "Wow, you guys are really going nuts over this thing!" I'm not going to tell him quite how right he is...=D

     
  • At February 10, 2006 9:23 AM, Blogger Jo said…

    Thank you! My family thinks this is a riot, too! My oldest son was teasing last night about getting me "finger sweat bands" and a "finger treadmill" so I can stay in shape! He brought me M&Ms and DH has promised to bring home Killian's this afternoon. Gotta love that kind of support! LOL!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home